August 12, 2009

Don't panic

I have a feeling these words will enter my head many times in the next 18....errr....50 so years with these boys.

Yesterday, was all my fault. I had just packed everyone (sometimes two kids feels like a heard of cats) up to leave Balboa Island and go meet a friend to talk about a new book study we are going to do at church. I put Lyle in his seat. Ben in his. He threw a fit. Didn't want to get in. Or wanted to get in ALL BY HIMSELF. I think I threatened him...with something. He obliged. I threw my keys in the front seat. Shut his door. And ....couldn't open mine. The doors were locked. Somewhere between car seat one, car seat two, "YOU BETTER SIT IN THAT SEAT RIGHT NOW OR ELSE....THE CAR SEAT POLICE WILL COME HERE AND ARREST YOU" I must have hit the lock button.

My heart sank. There were my boys. All buckled in. And locked in the car. "Don't panic," I think.

I yelled for my mom, who had just gone back in the house. She came running. I was already crying. Afraid to make eye contact with Ben. Who incidentally was happily playing with his music player that he had grabbed for the car ride. I immediately think of the second set of keys at home. At least 30 minutes for someone to get them and get back to us. I think to call 911. Because that's what you do in an emergency. And this sure felt like an emergency. I was parked in the shade. But it was hot that day. And my car had been in the sun all day. But before I could call 911, my mom reminded me of the fire station...100 yards away. She ran. I stood behind the car, still afraid to look at Ben. B/c I was crying. And I was praying that he wasn't.

Less than a minute later, up drives the fire ENGINE! The HUGE FIRE ENGINE. 5 firemen and 2 minutes later, the doors were unlocked. Ben had sweat dripping down his face and Lyle was uncomfortably hot. We got them both out and they cooled down quickly.

And I was still crying. And Ben was smiling....getting a plastic fire hat and sticker from the firemen.

No harm done. Lesson learned: don't throw your keys in the car....keep them in your hand at all times.

No comments: