July 17, 2008

How did I forget the Drive thru liquor....errr....I mean dairy?

I can NOT believe I neglected to mention the drive-thru dairy in my last post!!! Before I write anything else...I must share. There is a drive-thru dairy conveniently located approximately 200 yards from my front door. For those locals....it's on Baker between Mendoza and Fairview. It's been there for years....or decades. And I'd driven by with out giving it much thought day after day for years before I had a milk guzzling toddler. (it breaks my heart to admit that he is a toddler, but let's face it, there is nothing baby about my walking, talking, running and screaming opinionated, currently sleep-striking boy).

Back to the dairy. Shortly after sweet Ben started drinking milk, and before I implemented the milk inventory management system (ie...always keep 2+ gallons in the fridge) came a late night with the last of the milk being poured into Ben's night time bottle. Too tired (lazy) to go to the market that night....I put it off until the morning...when I'm a little smarter, quicker, and all around generally happier. So come early morning (so early son....the sun is not up!) Ben and I got in the car for a milk field trip. On our way to Stater Bros....I see the drive-thru dairy....make a hard (slightly illegal) left and pull in. I'm wide eyed, thinking it's not so hard being a mom after all, there are little miracles like drive-thru dairies if you just look for them. I pull up and as I start scanning my options....Bud Lite, Miller Lite Miller MGD, Hineken, Corona, Corona Lite, 12 oz., 40 oz....12 pack, cases, bottles, cans, all sound good....did I miss something? Where's the milk? I keep searching, quickly realizing that there is no way this pusdo liquor store is going to have organic milk. At the end of the line I see three or four milk options (none organic) which is about 1/10th of the beer selection. I pull up, pick my gallon of non-organic milk and easy as pie, pay with out getting out of the car. Ben still in PJs in the back seat. Glorious! And I consider getting a beer, for later in the day of course, but resist. I can always come back later, and STILL not have to get out of the car!

Picture of Ben on a milk stake out in front of the fridge.

No comments: