July 9, 2008

I can do that...

This post is both a tribute to my "I can do that" friend Jenn Osler, and a warning against at home hair removal.

Jenn was my college roommate for one semester in college. My last semester. My "I only need to take 3 units of English and 3 units of intro to dance for non-majors to gradudate" semester (some how I neglected to take any electives my first few years in college and had to catch up near the end). It was my last horah in Austin, knowing that life was moving me some where new very soon. And I was determined to go out with a bang. Or a head ache. Jenn was dating a tennis pro, which conveniently opened up all sorts of doors for us, and run ins with other tennis pros. And free diet coke at "the club." We played tennis. And drank beer after tennis. And ran the Capital 10,000 race, and drove to Waco one night to pick up a back pack from a friend. And went to Skishores on Lake Austin for the best burger ever. And we went skiing for spring break. And that is maybe where I heard Jenn's famous line....or some variation there of. "I can do that." I can ski a double black. I can fix your boot. I can hail a cab. I can drive the Caddi.

After college, Jenn moved to Newport Beach where I was living and we worked together for several years. The motto grew. I can make that picture frame. I can re-glaze my sink. I can run a marathon. And another marathon....faster. And another marathon. I can go to Mammoth this weekend. And Hawaii the next. And the beauty is that she did. She did it all. With such confidence and energy. I loved it. And I miss it. (move back to California Jenn). No...she's happy, b/c she said "I can get into Law school" and she did. And she's 2/3 done!!!

So the other night....I was looking at my unruly eyebrows and thought of my sweet friend Jenn. :) I thought....I can wax my own eye brows....and save a little casheshe. I can draw a straight line. How hard can it be?

The directions say, "Microwave the wax for no more than 1 minute." Of course it's not soft after one minute....I'll try two. Boiling. Too hot. Blow.....blow....stir. Sticky. How do I get this off the stick. Oh...it's on my fingers....can't get it off. It's on all my fingers. Sticky. Stir, stir. Cool enough. I try to apply to a safe area (between the eye brows...don't have to be so precise there)....swipe on. Too much. How do I get this out of my hair? I only want those ones gone, not those ones. Forget it....one....two.....OUCH! It does hurt just as bad when you do it to yourself. I'll spare you the rest of the details. But I only successfully removed about 4 unwanted hairs on my face, and lost all feeling in my finger tips. Still trying to get the wax off. I can do lots of things other than 1)run as fast as Jenn, and 2)wax my eyebrows.

2 comments:

Jodie Mac said...

You didn't really try to wax your own brows - did you? There's some things you skimp on, some things you don't. Anything that could cause permanent damage would be something you don't :-) This was a great tribute to Jenn. I look forward to my tribute :-) I'm eating chocolate raisins and reading blogs on Saturday afternoon. Of all the things I could be doing... Looking forward to more blogs. An idea for one? http://thehowertons.blogspot.com/2008/07/getting-real.html (oooohhhh - too, too scary).

Bronwen said...

HA