July 11, 2008

There's no place like home (a shout out to the west side)

I've gone through some phases...where I don't like my neighborhood so much. I don't know what it is. Well, it's a lot of things....but I won't go into it b/c it will all sound like I am a horrible, self-centered, high maintenance person. And I'd rather not show my cards like that. Anywho....the last couple weeks, the city of Costa Mesa has surprised me. Lots of happy, hilarious and slightly white trash (is that term offensive to anyone?) surprises. Here are a few...

Angel's playground - the playground by our house has been under construction for the last 6 months and it re-opened last week and is larger than life! It's huge and clean and new and amazing. And I have only identified 6 potential head injury/broken bone sites for Ben. I am praying against them all. It is full of kids and moms at all hours and I love it!

Back yard pool - with the aforementioned park, I would have LOVED a community pool. But it doesn't exist and as far as I can tell on the City of Costa Mesa website (www.ci.costa-mesa.ca.us/)....there are no plans for one. As summer was approaching, I was bummed by this fact and searched my little mind for a remedy. Enter, the "inflatable" 3' wide, 6" deep back yard miracle. I bought the inflatable pool last summer, but with Ben not able to sit up, it was not much fun for anyone. But this summer is a whole new world. A few bath toys, a hat and some (LOTS of sunscreen GREG!) sunscreen and we're good to go for HOURS! The best part is I can actually "lay out" (a past time I thought was lost for years to come) while Ben plays happily in the pool. And another bonus....as discovered last weekend, if "happy" turns into "cranky and hysterical," we can change venue (go inside for a diaper and nap time) and hopefully attitude in 30 seconds...or less. Yea!

So we're cruising through summer, when the 4th of July approaches and low and behold, we live in the only city in Orange County that allows fire works! Holy white trash war zone. See "Holiday Curse" post for more information.

Cattle drive - I still have more information to gather on this one...but as far as I can tell...there is a legit CATTLE DRIVE through Costa Mesa, including down Harbor Blvd. in July as part of the fair festivities. Oh....I need a whole other post to talk about the fair. I'll leave that one alone for now.

Old Vine Restaurant - this is just a shout out to our favorite local dinner spot, turned breakfast spot, turned "buy all our wine and cheese" spot, which might turn into our vegetable co-op spot next. We're talking about it. I highly recommend the 4 course dinner with wine paring and a cab to get home.

No comments: