December 27, 2008

highs and lows of our holiday vacation....errrr....trip

high: 7 nights, 8 days in Beaver Creek, Colorado. Snowy mountains. Loads of Christmas lights. Toasty fires. Warm blankets.
low: -7 degrees when we left this morning
high: Riding the snow cat up Bachelor Gulch mountain with Ben and my mom for lunch at Zach's cabin
low: Ben and I both making doctors visits for horrible colds that HAD to have been something more than a cold...but wasn't
high: 8 adults and 1 Ben in the house for days. Lots of down time for me...to enjoy my horrible cold.
low: wanting desperatly for more conversation with my family than I got
high: having my Alzheimer's suffering Gramma ask me the rules to a card game (that we've been playing since I was a child) every time it was her turn, and then beat me time after time after time after time.
low: getting ben's leg caught in a changing table railing at the airport on our way home (b/c I pulled him up too fast and was in a hurry) and then seeing him limp on it all afternoon.
high: greg taking one for the team and changing ben's dirty diaper at the airport (5 minutes after I changed an apparently not dirty one) and just throwing his shirt away b/c it was a dirty diaper casualty.
low: the realities of traveling on the 27th of December with a toddler and an 87 year old grandmother in a wheel chair. With 6 pieces of luggage. And a car seat. (and a tired pregnant woman) Through the Denver airport. Where they don't let you push your own wheel chair. But instead....you get to wait forEVER for someone to let you use the "Frontier Airlines" issued wheel chair...about 10 feet before they transfer the wheel chair passenger to a cart (which the rest of the traveling party is not allowed to ride on, even if they are pregnant and tired)...then back to a wheel chair....with 30 minute waits with each hand off.
high: finding an abandoned United Airlines wheel chair....throwing Gramma in....and RUNNING through the airport pushing the chair ourselves with airline employees, security guards and other travelers hollaring, hootings, pointing and trying to stop us....then ditching the chair at a nearby gate and pretending it never happened.
low: coming down off my 8 day Christmas cookie sugar high (and fudge and pecan balls and all sorts of other high calorie low nutrition treats that my unborn child was CRAVING!)
high: being home.
low: realizing we were locked out of our home.
high: greg breaking in through a window...that apparently doesn't lock like it should...while the house alarm was going off. Sorry neighbors!
low: starring at suitcases that need to be unpacked....eventually.
high: knowing that we don't REALLY have to travel again until next Christmas....maybe.

2 comments:

Tiffany Lindsey said...

You are hysterical! The wheelchair story is classic. Hey can you email me your address? I realized I don't have it while doing xmas cards. Better late than never, right?

Jodie Mac said...

One of your best entries yet - love it. Thank goodness for the highs to give us perspective on the hights! I'm working on my list for you right now!