September 2, 2008

I can't help but smile...

What is it about certain childhood memories that are so fresh you can taste them? Smell them? Hear them? Those little moments that you probably didn't even pause in as a child, didn't even think about, just lived in? I come from a family that values routine. So there wasn't a lot of variety. Or a lot of spontaneity. But there certainly were those activities that became rituals or traditions in our little family of four. And when I am reminded of them as an adult, I can't help but smile. We played a lot of golf growing up. And I walked miles down dewy fairways in search of a little white (sometimes hot pink!) ball that had traveled way off course. It was usually hot. And always humid. And when the grass was freshly cut, the little blades left behind would stick to my white leather golf shoes like magnets. And there was this smell. This smell so closely tied to the game and my dad and that course, that I can not separate them in my mind. And today, when I find myself walking by a fresh cut lawn, it takes me back to that fairway. Still looking for the ball.

And we use to go to the lake every weekend as a family in the summer. Lake Conroe in Texas. The boat (a 1976 Viking deck boat) was stored in dry shed a few miles from the boat launch. We'd drive up to Conroe, my brother and I vying for the first lake spotting the entire way, and pick up the boat, put it in the water, and hope the engine started on the first try. The sun was shinning and so hot. I'd be sweating before the boat was even in the water. We'd slowly head out, away from the shore, clamoring for who was going to get the first ski. I'd jump in, feet first, life jacket on, ready to go. The boat would pull me up out of the water, and it felt like I was flying. It was so peaceful. I was alone out on that water. Alone with my thoughts. The view of the shore and water all around. I was on my own island with the wind blowing in my face. And I was happy. And couldn't help but smile. I got so experience that joy on Lake McQueeney this past weekend....do you see the smile?

2 comments:

Bronwen said...

such good details! esp about golfing...

Tiffany Lindsey said...

I used to LOVE going skiing with your family in high school. I actually rifled through some old pictures just to find some of us skiing on Lake Conroe and I found them! Such fun times!